Monday, August 16, 2021

Baking with Crisco

     So, as I have been sharing my baking journey this year, friends and family have been sharing recipes with me, and challenging me to try some of their favorite treats. This has been an unexpected bonus to me as I never know what interesting tidbits I might learn.

    The other day I was overjoyed to receive an message from my dad's cousin, Wilma. She then advised she would be mailing me her mother's, my great-aunt Jessie, cookbook from 1930. Wilma and her husband John did not waste one moment of time getting to the post office. The book arrived just a few days later.

    I decided that my next new cookie recipe to try would be one from this cookbook, The Art of Cooking and Serving by Sarah Field Splint, published in 1930. 



    I knew I wanted to do the orange sugar cookie as it would fit in nicely with two of my other new to me cookies from this year, the key lime and lemon cookies. Another reason I wanted to do an orange cookie is because Wilma and John are from Florida and I figured this would be a nice little tribute to them, oranges always are associated with Florida in my mind. 



    I wasn't sure how it would go as I have never baked or cooked with Crisco. I knew I wanted to be authentic to the cookbook and follow the recipe exactly as printed at least for the first batch. I was able to find some Crisco at our local grocery store. They didn't have any of the cans I remembered sitting on the shelf in my grandma's cupboard back in the day, those were all sold out. I did manage to snag the last packet of butter flavored Crisco sticks and used that. It was easy to work with and the dough was very creamy and smooth.



    I now have what I call my Summer Citrus Trio. This has been one of my more popular gift plates of cookies. They are just fabulous!



4 comments:

  1. What a fun journey you've been on. I love the idea of the citrus trio! They look and sound absolutely YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo-Ellen, they are pretty amazing. :-)
      I will put on my list that you think they sound great.
      What are some of your other favorite flavors for cookies?

      Delete
  2. Thanks Terri for sharing this beautiful adventure with me. What a terrific gift to receive this cherished cookbook of 1930! The cookies look and sound "refreshing" with the summer season. I love the taste of almond in my baking as another option!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almond Melt Away cookies have been one of my new cookies this year--LOVE them!

      Delete