Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Four Year Old Me Knew

     2019 was a year of challenges. Some of the issues were not directly mine, but when those you love hurt or struggle, and there is little you can do to assist them, that is a special pain and stress. It leaves you feeling fatigued, helpless, and like you are totally failing everyone you care about.
     I started the year with so many plans, to further my hopes and dreams. I was trying to build on the momentum and trajectory I had finally achieved back in 2011.
     2011 year was also a year of setbacks, of three steps forward and two steps back. It was a year of turbulence with my day jobs, trying to find work that would be suited to my still new college degree, and the first time I ever had scary health issues.
     And yet my writing dreams seemed to come true. I had a screenplay receive semifinalist status, I made the top ten percent in another screenplay contest, and entered a picture book in a contest, and it would later win a publishing contract.
     Eventually, by 2014, I managed to get three picture books published with my original digital publisher, but then they sold their entire collection. My books were available with the new publisher through their app for a while, but I had no real rights to my stories any more. Then I received the news that they were no longer interested in most of the collection, including my books.
     Since I wrote to them and asked what would happen to mt books, they reverted the rights back to me, but refused to let me have access to the illustrations, not even an option to buy them. This seemed like a slight setback, but I was still optimistic.
     I was still friends with the illustrator of my original picture book. Happily, he was willing to work with me on creating new illustrations for my picture book. It took months of work, the setup of my own publishing imprint, and my husband's computer skills to help format the book, but just before the end of the year we were able to make Green Goo available for the first time in print and also for Kindle.
     So many devastating disappointments in 2019, health issues for friends and family, health scares of my own, treachery by people that should have been guides or offered assistance,  and so many other seeming failures.
     And yet, with help from family and friends, obstacles were overcome, new beginnings achieved, and fresh starts happened. I have known since I was four years old that I wanted to be a writer, that I wanted everyone to be able to read that stories that I created. I am glad this has been achieved. I hope that 2020 will be a year for more writing and producing, more sharing of my stories and yours.
     When you have a moment, please check out the preview of my picture book that is available online. Please see link below.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1675272034?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

No comments:

Post a Comment